Blue Kingfisher

Position two

Position three

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I photographed this proud blue kingfisher through the window of a vehicle at Fog Damm in Australia’s Northern Territory. The first image is my preferred shot, but I am interested in getting your critique of the other two views as well.

Specific Feedback

Do images two and three have merit? How would you improve them in post?

Technical Details

Nikon D500, 500mm lens, likely f5.6

I like all three images, Larry. I agree that the first is the best, but the other two show off features, particularly the beak that the first does not. I would crop both of them to a more vertical presentation and maybe dodge the shaded side of the faces a bit. Otherwise, I like them.

Thanks, Dennis.

Beautiful work Larry, the focus is sharp and that background really works for the colors in the kingfisher! :+1:

Definitely prefer the first shot, as the unavoidable shadow of the bill in 2 and 3 distracts for my eye. The first shot shows the vibrant color effects of the sunlight on the bird. I’d suggest muting the brightness of the BG (to the level of the beautiful BG in number 2), as it competes a bit with the bird, perhaps by selecting the bird first. You could then even brighten its head a little. It’s such an attractive shot that it might be worth these extra touches.

All of these are great, but the first one is over the top, fantastic. Nicely done.

Thanks, @Mike_Friel , @Dennis_Plank, @Saundie, and @David_Bostockfor your visits and input. I haven’t been online for a few days, so pardon my tardiness in responding. I agree that the BG needs muting, so it doesn’t compete with the bird.

Larry, I agree with what the others have said about number one. Once the background is darkened, I wonder if a bit of cropping on the right might help. It is hard to tell now because the green is so dominant.

Sorry for the delay with this response, Barbara. I was so pleased to get the bird sharp with an interesting perch and personality. That I didn’t pay much attention to altering the background. I can see how doing it may help. I have a small wall print in one of our bathrooms that looks great. Thanks. Larry