Kingfisher with fish + reworks

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was recently gone for ten days to Vermont for a vacation (non-photography). Good to be back.

I visited the kingfisher pond again early this morning and found this guy fishing again. The Fall colors are just starting to show here in Memphis.

Specific Feedback

There was a bit of haze on the water this morning. I used dehaze in ACR to try to minimize it some. Any thoughts on image appearance given that?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, monopod
ISO 1600, f6.3, 1/2500s

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and photoshop.

Nice perch and background colors. Nice take-off and flying poses with great detail-the fish is an added bonus The colors in the kingfisher seem a bit flat and I wonder if there is a way to make it pop more against the background.

You got some fantastic light to work with, Allen. The kingfisher is nice and sharp, and both the poses look great. The fall colors in the background also add a lot, but the background itself looks a little odd and even a little artificial. Not sure if it’s the de-hazing or just the separation from the foreground that’s causing it.

Some rework trying to darken the blue on the kingfisher.

1 Like

Beautiful light and great timing, Allen. The haze definitely affected the image. Did you process the bird separately from the background? If so a bit of extra dehaze on the bird might be useful, though too much starts making things look weird. I love the fall background.

Hi Dennis, I processed the bird separately in the reworks. I used NIK Viveza 3 to try to darken the blue in the bird.