Blue Terrain

V2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is an icescape from my pond that’s too big for macro and too real for abstract. It’s also very different from my “normal” icescape in that it was shot from a low pov so that the sky’s reflection dominates the “colors”. I also felt like going minimalist…

Technical Details

R5, 180mm macro, 1/10 s, f/10, iso 800, tripod and 2 s timer. A 36 shot stack.

Hi Mark - I love seeing your ice/pond images! I love the texture of the icy surface in this one, and the blue hues. What I’m not loving so much is that larger area at the bottom of the frame - it pulls my eye to it, and it’s not completely in the frame, and I find that a bit distracting. I love, however, the two smaller rocks and wonder if there could be more above the one in the UR so that you could lose the bottom and gain a bit of space at the top from the original? If not, my thoughts are a tighter crop that excludes the bottom one. Just my thoughts, again I love seeing all the variations you are coming up with from this one spot!

1 Like

Although I think this is another wonderful ice image, I was immediately drawn to the large, icy rock on the bottom and wanted to see more. It really is fascinating. Perhaps a crop removing it?

@brenda_tharp, @Jim_Gavin, Yes I have a cropped version without the ice pattern at the bottom and it’s even more minimalist than this (~88% FF) view. I’ve flipped between the two versions many times and eventually decided on this view, because it’s a decidedly unconventional comp. Yes, the ice at the bottom edge leads the viewer to think about what’s outside the frame, but I don’t think that’s always a problem… Just pushing the envelope. BTW all four “hummocks” are different freezing patterns in the ice.

I’ve posted V2 for comparison.

Hi Mark - in seeing this second cropped version, I feel that it’s now off balance! Picky me. Yet what I really want is to see more of the rock at the bottom, and my comment initially was that it pulled me down there only to have only part of the story within the frame. Removing it, ironically, left too much empty space! Ah, the choices. Of course all of this is subjective, and I am glad you are pushing the envelope!

I prefer the original version. I had a hard time figuring out what I’m looking at. That’s a good thing in my book.

After seeing crop, I, too, prefer the original.

The thumbnail looked a little like tree bark to me; I agree that it is a fair bit abstract in a good way. Quite the interesting color too.