A Spot of Green

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

After a hard freeze, I went looking for Icestracts in my pond. The thin, clear ice lets the colors and shapes of the leaves on the bottom show through along with the textures in the ice. In this case the bit of green is a leaf fragment from my water lilies (that haven’t all been killed by freezing…yet).

Technical Details

R5, 100-500 @ 400, 1/5 s, f/20, iso 400, tripod, 2 s timer. A 10 shot stack.

3 Likes

I really like the palette in this image, Mark. The ice does a nice job of adding some texture to the underlying colors. There are a few small yellow patches that are bright enough to draw my eye, particularly above and to the left of the green patch.

I could have sworn the green was a frog’s head.

Another wonderful image of ice/vegetation from the Seaver pond. Great abstract. The green is really the face of some type of pond alien with one eye open; isn’t it?

Oh, I love your images of ice in your pond, Mark, and this is no exception. Nice color palette and texture in the ice.

Jim, now that you point it out, I too see the green alien… :grin:

Mark, terrific ice abstract image with tons of details to explore. The colors work quite well especially with the splash of green in the primary subject. I also like the diagonal lines formed by the ice. Nicely seen image Mark.

Mark,

What a gold mine you have with the pond and your property. So cool, although I’m not sure I could tolerate the cold… :wink: :roll_eyes:

I too like the green alien shape - and for sure I like the inclusion of the green color to contrast with all the golden tones and colors.

The texture and detail in the ice really accentuates, yet doesn’t over take the overall impression and allows the underlying shapes and colors to show thru.

The nit/feedback I have is that I’m unsure about the more dominant diagonal in the ice in the LLC. The good news with these natural abstracts is that there are many other ways to crop and slice things up. Perhaps a crop that either incorporates that diagonal with more prominence with the green alien, or some crop that excludes the diagonal. Not an image killer by any stretch, just an alternate look.

Lon

A bit late to this post, but just wanted to say I love this image! The balance between blurred abstraction and sharp crisp detail really makes this scene stand out. The color palette is equally eye-catching, certainly not the colors one typically associates with ice. Great work.