Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D
Canon 70-300 IS USM zoom
f/5.6
1/1000 sec.
ISO 2000
Hand Held

Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure, sharpness, and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

2 Likes

Definitely a beautiful bird. Looks like the point of focus was on the bright blue plumage just in front of the tail. I find the head to be a little soft. Additionally I think you would be better if you got down lower if that is at all possible. I think it’s really important to try to be on the same level as the bird rather than looking up or down at it. Yes, sometimes you don’t have a choice. I understand that.

Ha! Sorry…the second image is the one I meant to upload!

While the second image is sharper, I prefer the pose on the slightly softer image, Terry. The second is obviously quite sharp out of the camera and I think you may have overdone the processing just a bit-the feather detail is starting to look just a bit coarse in the larger image. Nice work.

Hi Terry! I like the + Bluejay better! Ha! Seriously though, really nice photo and your description is so true!

Thanks @Dennis_Plank. I agree with both observations.

Hi @Vanessa_Hill. Glad you like the + Bluejay! :grinning: Not sure how I mistakenly uploaded the first image!

1 Like

Hi Terry, I like seeing the eye so well in the second image and the tip to tail sharpness. These are beautiful birds despite their mean streak. Nice catch.

1 Like

Nice birds, well done. My preference would be the second image. As you sort of look down on the bird (as opposed to being eye level with it), the down-looking pose in the first image emphasises that - on the second it’s less an issue. For me that is, of course :wink: . Cheers, Hans

1 Like