BOAB (Bird on a Beach)

This was a solitary LongBilled Curlew hanging out on the beach with multiple species of shorebirds.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

It’s a tiny bit softer than I would like and there is some noise on the belly feathers. This is a large crop.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Iso-800, 500 mm +1.4 extender, F8, 1600th, D 500, handheld, overcast, 40% of full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

There may be some flaws (probably wouldn’t have noticed if not pointed out), but the head and eye are sharp and nice pose and not one I’ve seen on the coast, so definitely a keeper in my book.

This came out really well, David, particularly considering how far we were from it. Excellent detail and nice foreground and background.

Really nice shot especially considering the large crop and the relatively high ISO. The pose also adds to the shot.