Boatyard Ghosts

We had an unusual fog here a couple of days ago. I drove around our small village to find subjects and came up with this. When I saw it it seemed to be suspended in the mist like an apparition.

Love the foggy mood and disconnect of the dry ā€œdockā€ boat, but I find my eyes pulled as if by magnet to the truck tires. It happens every time I view the image.

1 Like

I never even thought of that. I wonder if you would be pulled to it the 2nd time if you hadnā€™t been pulled the first time. I saw those wheels and never thought about them that way but now that you bring it up I do see them that way. No, I think I disagree on that one, Harley. Weā€™ll see what others think.

Hello,

Boating and fishing have been my lifelong passion and I love this image. There is drama in it, I dread that my boat would ever be in a similar situation especially with me at the helm. I think the tires could be a distraction if the image was just about the boat. For me I feel there is more to the story and the trailer tires add clues to the story. Just my two cents.

Welcome aboard, as they say in the nautical community. Glad to see you getting your feet wet here at NPN. Iā€™m also glad that this image rings well with you. There is something about the lines of a boat that you never tire of looking at, for people like us.

Hi Igorā€¦before I read the comments, I lingered with the image due to its ethereal appearance. Sad story being told here and the fog helps convey a sense of dread to my eye (thatā€™s a good thing).

I agree with Harley completely and feel that the 2 eyes of the truck wheels are looking back at me. Iā€™d get rid of them but Iā€™d leave that other structure and of course the fence in the BG.

1 Like

How would you do that?

Great scene. I love the bits of materials that are hanging on the boat. I think the darker truck is carrying more visual weight than itā€™s size would suggest because itā€™s right at the frame edge. It feels unbalanced to me. Maybe just dodging it a bit so itā€™s not so dark. I wouldnā€™t clone it out, as it adds to the story.

I suppose as with most things Ps, thereā€™s a bazillion ways to address this. My preference is to carefully select the area of desired distraction with a lasso tool, then I use the ā€œPatch Selection Toolā€ to find a favorable area that Iā€™d like to ā€œpatch overā€ the distraction. If that creates problems or artifacts, then I use the same selection and use the ā€œContent Aware Fillā€ tool. This has 3 options for selecting the area to clone into the distraction areaā€¦ 1) is ā€œautoā€ which lets the algorithm find areas that might work. Depending on how the algorithnm selects, you can brush in or out areas to include/exclude. For example, youā€™d want to exclude any area of the boat which wouldnā€™t clone well into the healed area; 2) is to use a ā€œrectangleā€ of area to include areas that can heal over the distraction; 3) is to use the brush to ā€œcustomā€ brush in areas that might clone in nicely.

There are good tutorials on these tools on YouTube and I tend not to try them too much without a tutorial as it saves lots of frustration on learning how to optimize each tool.

Hope this does more to help than confuse! Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Oh, I know how to do it. But what am I left with, a truck with no wheels? And if I did get rid of it wouldnā€™t the crate become the next distraction? Iā€™ll work on the wheels tonight. Maybe I can make the truck look like a shed.

Igor, maybe instead of removing the wheels, just darken the silvery wheel wells so they arenā€™t so bright. Just subdue those elements?
I love all things nautical and this is a really cool scene.

A very evocative image, Igor. Wonderful depth achieved by your control of the tonality and a fine composition.

Igor,

First of all, this is a wonderful image - great mood, atmosphere and even being a nautical novice, Iā€™ve been around coastal communities enough to appreciate this image - and the story it tells. And YES, I too thought the boat was suspendedā€¦ The conditions you caught were ripe for the photo opportunity.

I too was drawn to the slight distraction of the flatbed and tires - although admittedly, my first impression was that of an over-sized boom boxā€¦ (aging myselfā€¦). Much of the discussion has been about removing or mitigating this. Cloning I think is too extreme here and agree with others that the elements on the left are part of the story. but maybe the eye-magnet element can be mitigated.

So the question of how comes up. My thought was to embrace the fog. I added an empty layer and in a new-found valuable technique, painted light tones in the low opacity layer to essentially add fog to the area around the wheels and crate, but also in an anti-vignette fashion in L and R lower corners. I also used the very outer edge of a soft patch healing brush to take the edge off the hard line of the trailer bed - but leave the presence and story of the wheels in tact.
(ignore the color shift as I brought the jpg in to PS and it changed to the ProPhoto working spaceā€¦ so I just went with it.)

I hope I didnā€™t go too far - because for the most part your images Igor do not require ā€œreworksā€¦ā€ this was offered as a how-to in order to reduce the presence of the wheels without removing them.
B&w seemed fitting as well.

1 Like

Thank you for the rework and instructions on how to do it. I think I like the b&w rework more. Iā€™m surprised this is still being paid attention to.

If you have time please give any feedback on the image ā€˜Corpulenceā€™. Thanks.

Hey Igor,

Yeah, clearly Iā€™ve been quite absent in recent weeks, monthsā€¦ and I just happened upon this one while perusing the site.

Iā€™ve viewed your Landscape image and I do have some comments.

Hope Iā€™m not beating a dead horse, but I love the image and the truck wheels donā€™t bother me in the slightest.

1 Like