Temagami - Ghost Dawn

With Boat House

Without Boat House

What it felt like when, just before dawn, I looked out over the lake on this scene was the sense of a haunting, spectral presence. At the same time, it was thrilling because it felt like I had been transported to the edge of some alternate reality. With the fog so close around me it was as though I was in a waking dream.

I was very lucky, I think, with this one because I was totally unaware that hidden in the mist was a structure – the boat house on the shore. When I made the picture I simply couldn’t see it and even when I downloaded the image, it was still almost invisible. It wasn’t until I did some dust removal with the TK panel that I saw it and thought that if I could bring it up a bit, it would add to the ghostly quality and perhaps provide an added point of focus as well.

For it to be successful, I think this picture has to find just the right balance. It is a bit like the dance of the seven veils – if too much is shown, the mystery is lost, if too little is shown, it ceases to be compelling. Being that it is a ghostly, spectral presence that is at the heart of this image, the question I’m asking myself and you is whether it has enough emotional depth to hold the reader’s attention not just for one quick look but over time?

Is this a composite: No

Excellent high key image, Kerry. It evokes a mystery and a serenity. I love it.

Great presentation and dreamyness in this one, Kerry. Interesting how we all have different takes on things. I think I would rather not have the boathouse in there. For me, it ever so slightly takes away from the dreamy feeling with the man-made grounding. I find it a beautiful image as presented, but that is my take on the building from an emotional reaction. Either way, really excellent work.

Hi Kerry,

If you and Harley did not mention the boathouse, I would have overlooked it for sure. I like the abstract/dreaminess of the scene and the second little island off the left adds a lot to the comp…Jim

What a dreamy, serene, ethereal image. Because it’s so subtle you really have to stop and look at it. To me, the small black square of the boathouse against the organic, softness of the scene is a little distracting.

Hi Kerry, I really like your approach to the photo - it left a lot open for keep the eye wandering and getting lost.

Hmm. @Harley_Goldman , @Chris_Baird - I’m still unsure but because it is so easy to change, I have posted an alternative without the boathouse. In this case, is less, more?

I prefer it without, but of course, that is heavily personal taste and opinion. You can’t go wrong with it in whatever works best for you.

@Kerry_Gordon Either way is good. It is indeed a very subtle change. I’d choose without, but that’s a personal choice. Great image no matter how you slice it :slight_smile:

I can barely make out the subject in this image. So I brought it into PS and removed the black frame. The subject, to me, became much more recognizable. The frame is affecting the viewing of this image. I usually chose a tonal value that’s just slightly darker than the image. Just my opinion. BTW, the default background here, black, will do the same.