Temagami Dawn 3

It is always a big bonus for me to find portals into the surrounding backcountry through which we are paddling. When we are very lucky it is possible with a little bushwacking to make my way beyond the boundaries of the campsite we’ve chosen and work my way to some clearing or lookout that seemed to have magically appeared just for me. On the morning this picture was taken, I was able to explore well beyond the boundaries of our campsite at my favourite time of day - pre-dawn. And lo and behold. Except for some minor effort required in keeping my butt dry, I was able to settle into this absolutely charming outlook and wait for the light. This was at the very tail end of August in backcountry that is part of the Canadian Shield. So, even though this spot in Temagami isn’t really that far north (by Canadian standards), winter comes on quite a bit sooner than where I live in Toronto. In this picture, you can already see the autumn colours just starting to show themselves.
I felt, when I was making this picture, that this was a special place. I felt exceedingly calm and at peace as I sat in the grass and looked out at the coming light. That being said, I found the most difficult part in post processing was balancing the colour. I tried a lot of different ways of finding the right balance between the greens, blues and orange and couldn’t seem to get it where it felt pleasing. I almost gave up when I hit on a way to make it work for me. I would like any feedback you can offer especially in terms of any emotional connection you may feel looking in on this scene but I’d also appreciate any thoughts on the colour balance and if it feels consistent with the scene.

Is this a composite: No

2 Likes

Excellent shot. It’s amazing how much that yellow grass in the lrc adds to this image. Aside from the comp I like the colors in this image. I really can’t find anything to say that would improve this. Years ago I did a canoe trip with my 13 year old and we had a camping spot near a place like this that gave me a similar feeling you describe.

A very tranquil and peaceful feeling to this, with a nice pathway to the light and dawn. I like the comp and the processing looks spot on. No suggestions here.

Beautiful image.

As a side note, Tamagami is a favorite location for me. My father-in-law purchased a small island in the southern end of the lake in the 1940s and it’s been in the family since. The camp is a base for the exploration of surrounding bays and portages to surrounding lakes and bogs.

Thanks for posting your photos. They engender pleasant memories.

A grand landscape (definition is unclear, but I define it as anything that includes the sky and the earth) but feels very intimate. I get the sense of place; I really feel like I was there. I don’t find anything to nit either, this is definitely one of those images that is very understated but very impactful.

@Igor_Doncov , @Harley_Goldman , @Adhika_Lie - thanks to you all for your very positive feedback. Much appreciated.
@paul_g_wiegman - Wow, how lucky are you. There’s been a lot changes to the Temagami region since your father-in-law bought the island - not much of it for the good, alas. Interestingly, I first heard about Temagami when I was a still a little kid. My uncle’s father-in-law owned an island, probably not far from where your family property is.

1 Like

We are in the far south of the lake in Baie Jeanne. Yes, there has been change, but it’s still a special place.