Boulders in a Stream

Yesterday was a beautiful day here (about time) so I took a short hike to Murhut Falls in the Olympics. A spectacular tall falls, even if the actual stream wasn’t that large. Photographically, though, a photo of a tall thin object ends up including a lot of other things which may not be that interesting or may actually detract from the subject. And the light wasn’t very interesting either. I ended up being more attracted to the boulders in the stream, the moss, and the effect of different shutter speeds on the blur of the moving water.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
1/8 sec, f/11, 1600 ISO

Yes, a nice, more intimate study. The shutter speed is perfect for me.

Nice close up of the water and rocks, Rick. You caught and worked up some nice light on the moss and the 1/8 ss shows some good detail in the flow. I sometimes play around with the blacks/darks in the water scenes to get more contrast. The darks in the stream look a touch too little bluish, but I like them . I think your titled subjects are too tight to the top and need more “breathing” room regardless of what is up there with them . The small streak on the top boulder could be removed so it is not a subconscious distraction. I like your frame color too .

Rick, there is a natural and spontaneous look to you image for me that I really appreciate. The cooler color cast is consistent with the atmosphere of this scene to my eye, as well as your framing and choice of shutter speed.