Bouquet W/Repost

Modified based on suggestions:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A Bouquet of Spring

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Technical Details

85mm, 1/600 sec @ f/1.2, ISO 125

This reminds me of a small tree my parents have had in their yard since I was a little girl. Some kind of dwarf plum or something? Not sure, but I like the sweeping arc of the branch here. The lead flowers stand out nicely in their sharpness compared to the soft blooms behind. You could clone out the bright bit sticking in from the bottom. Should be relatively easy to do. Amazing what the lens can grab DOF-wise at that wide aperture. You shoot a medium-format Fuji, right? That’s probably a lot of it. Sweet shot and makes me a little envious. Windy as hell today and 30 degrees.

Hi David,

This is really, really nice! :slight_smile:

I love the colors, and the saturation & contrast look great!

I also really like the amount of DOF as well as the transition to soft focus, I am a big fan of soft focus on flowers. In fact, even the ‘in focus’ parts are nicer if they’re a little on the soft side IMHO.

Hmmm… this makes me want to hop (more like climb) in the van and go to our local ice cream shop for some strawberry or cherry ice cream. :slight_smile: Seriously, I may just do that in a few minutes.
(I say climb into my van because it’s one of those high roof Nissan 2500s, I have to use the side grab bar to get in it, it’s our camping van with built-in beds, fridge, etc. and I have to be able to stand upright, no hunched over for me these days :slight_smile: )

Anyway, thanks for the motivation for my first ice cream run of the year. :slight_smile:

@Kris_Smith and @Merv thanks you for your comments and suggestions.

Kris, this was shot with a Fuji APSC camera. I have a smaller camera for my walkabout ventures and that’s what I took this time out. A lot of fun. I still have the medium format camera but it’s such a beast that I’ve relegated it to purely landscape activities. I’ll work on cloning out that spot on the bottom. Thanks. Oh, and I have learned that this is a Cherry Plum tree. Plant ID to the rescue. You were pretty spot on with the ID.

@merv, thank you for your comments. Cherry Ice Cream sound quite nice right about now.

Thanks again,
David

Wonderful subject and lighting, and DOF to die for, with the perfect focus plane!

My only nit-picky thought is to maybe lighten the dark area in the LL – just a little – but that could be tricky.

I’m going to go sit in a corner and pout for a while, then maybe emerge and spring for that lens. (Oh, wait, but I have Canon bodies. Maybe do some research first…)

1 Like

Hi Diane, back in my Canon days, the 85mm f/1.2 L lens was my favorite for getting this kind of image. They always say that this lens is for portraits but flowers make a great portrait subject.

Since you’re using the Canon Mirrorless now here are the best choices:
Canon RF 85mm f/1.2 L USM Lens

If you’re feeling adventurous and cash flush:
Canon RF 85mm f/1.2 L USM DS Lens

Both are quite expensive, but if I were still with Canon that DS lens would definitely be in my kit.

Cheers,
David