Breakfast

Repost with Crop suggestions from comments:

Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps), Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, Washingon, USA

3 seconds later, he had swallowed breakfast

Specific Feedback Requested

Just a fun image.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

1 Like

Amazing! I always wonder if birds survive after swallowing spiny things half their size.

I’m finding the BG is competing a bit too much with such interesting and well-captured behavior. I wonder about a crop about 1/3 of the way down from the top and some in from the left.

Hi David
You could have also have said now what. Diane is right, that fish is really big. You have a really interesting photograph here and I think a little tighter would make this shot even better.
Peter

@Diane_Miller and @Peter, thank you for the comments. Here’s a cropped version. I also hit the highlights on the left side of the fish, which were a little hot. It does look better. Thanks for the suggestions.

Awesome capture, David! I really like your recrop. It focuses more on what’s going on instead of the environment, which is beautiful surroundings but what the bird is doing is way more interesting and deserves center stage! :slight_smile:

Yes – the bird and the very interesting behavior is so much more prominent.

@Vanessa_Hill and @Diane_Miller, thanks for the comments on the crop. I always thought of this a just a grab shot…cropping it did indeed make a difference.

I agree that the cropped version works better because it really helps focus in on the subject matter. Good action. I have spent a fair amount of time in Ridgefield that it is a great place to shoot.

David, Thanks for the comments. I haven’t been to Ridgefield in a while. The new bridge sure makes for a nicer entrance.