Brief Respite & repost!

Specific Feedback Requested

Because there are 2 competing backgrounds in the color version of this (dark tree trunk on right and green on left) I thought black and white helped with the background. What do you think? Any feedback always appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 100
300mm
f/6.3
1/500

naturenessie

Another beauty and nicely perched. I don’t mind the color shot because it is the world of dragonflies - bright, sunny and summer. That said I’d burn the fleet-flyer in a bit since it appears too dark against the background. Sharpness looks decent and I like the tilt - the wings in the back frame the head and body well, and the nearer wings are up a bit to let us see. Maybe give that a go. Cheers!

1 Like

Vanessa, I like the color best, I think, but that was a good idea to see which you liked the best, and if it would improve the situation with the 2 competing backgrounds. That is a good way to learn more of what works to help improve an image. I agree with Kristen that the dragonfly has some bright areas that need toning down some. You might can tone down the bright background some as well. I might would try a crop from the right so that it will give the feel that the dragonfly has room to move. You had ISO to spare, so maybe pushing it up in a situation like this, and raising the f-stop to a higher number might provide a bit more DOF in the wings. Just some thoughts. Both images are a pretty nice look at this guy.

@Kris_Smith @Shirley_Freeman , Hello Kristen and Shirley! Thank you both for your inputs! I’m a little confused or just misunderstanding. It sounds like Kristen is saying the dragonfly is too dark and Shirley is saying it’s too bright? I’m not sure which way to go on this, but I did play around a little with the curves and lightened up the background and tried to make the dragonfly stand out a bit more, what do you think?..

Vanessa, I’m sorry for the confusion. I was looking more at the highlights (and should have said that) that seem a bit hot to me. What you did to the background does help make the dragonfly stand out better. Good job!

1 Like

Vanessa, I like your chosen pose with the long stick and the top/back lighting. Under these lighting conditions, the bright parts of both the DF and it’s perch will have to be overexposed (blown out) if you want any details in the DF’s abdomen. Your repost is a big improvement, with background better matched in brightness as well as the abdomenal stripes and eye details in this Blue Dasher male.

2 Likes

Thanks for your inputs, Mark! I’m glad you like it!