Blue dasher +repost

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D Mark II w/ Canon EF 100mm macro, 1/250 sec, f 7.1, ISO 640. Hand held

1 Like

Excellent shot, Marc. I love his perch, and the placement of it. The smooth background helps make the perch and the dragonfly stand out nicely. I wonder if a tiny crop off the top and the right side would improve this even more. Still, a great shot as presented.

1 Like

Hi Marc,

Nice shot and follow Shirley’s suggested crop. The comp is fairly strong as presented, so it would not bother me if you left this one as presented. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Marc: Superb lighting on this and a really good capture. I like the relatively wide view although I could also see a tighter crop working. I like your DOF management as well with the sharpness on the eye. Most excellent image.>=))>

1 Like

Very nice sharpness and detail of this female, and an interesting perch. Amazing to get so close with 100mm.

I’m rarely a fan of negative space, with balance of visual weight being a major factor, so my first thought would be to crop some from the right, but I do love the interesting BG and the curve of more brownish vegetation there does provide some balance. I would definitely add some on the left so the bud isn’t so close to the edge, and that would mitigate the urge to crop the right. Content-aware fill might work well if you don’t have more canvas in the original frame. I’d also consider burning down the brightest buds on the bottom edge to keep the eye in the frame.

1 Like

Funny. You all suggested a tighter crop might work better. I had just reduced the crop prior to posting. I’ve been feeling lately that I’ve been cropping my subjects too tightly and not giving them enough room. Here’s the “recrop”. Thank you!

I like this, Marc. Giving the vegetation a bit more room did the trick, as @Diane_Miller suggested. A wonderful image, worthy of printing and hanging. :+1: :+1:

This one works for me!!

Marc: :+1: :+1: on the repost. I don’t think its better but enough different to create a different perception. Nicely done. >=))>

1 Like

Marc, this is a fine look at the Blue Dasher. I find the original a bit tight on the left as I enjoy the negative space on the right. The overall brightness has things glowing nicely. The repost is a good improvement.