Brilliance on the Hill

Another one that I’ve posted before but was a good fit for the challenge.

Taken on Thompson Pass, looking South to the mountains on the other side of the Lowe River Canyon. It was right after a heavy snow storm so everything was covered with a fresh white blanket. The sun intense but was somewhat filtered by a thin layer of clouds so I thought I might be able to get a shot with the direct sunlight in the picture. I took two (hand held) shots using the Sony’s in-camera HDR 3-photo blend feature and stitched the two resulting images in AutoPano Giga. Essentially, 6 photos were used to make this stitched composite. It doesn’t look like its a color photo at first glance but you can see some hints of blue sky on the left side.

Sony a6300, SE1670Z @ 16 mm, ISO-100, f/13.0, 1/1000, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Gary, the high key, largely white view looks great. While b&w might add to the drama, I think the subtle touches of blue on the left improve the sense of being there. I also like the nice section of the 22 degree arc glowing in the sky below and on the right of the sun.

A very “cool” snowscape, Gary. I like the placement of the mountains. Have you looked at going completely black&white on this one?