Broad Billed Motmot

This is a Broad Billed Motmot, a distinctive bird with an equally distinctive tail which unfortunately is not completely visible in this image. More will be posted which include the tail but I like this profile and color. Central Costa Rican jungle on the Caribbean side.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Iso-2500, 500 mm PF, F5 .6, 500th, no flash, handheld, 70% of full frame, D 500,DxO Photo Lab, Adobe Camera Raw 11.2, Topaz AI Clear, Topaz Adjust, TK sharpening action at 5%.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful shot David, love the perch and out of focus but natural looking background. If this is the bird we saw on the 1st day, it’s a Braod-billed Motmot.

Beautiful detail and color, David. I like the way the perch curves around the bird. Very good.

1 Like

David if I’m not mistaken this was from the road to La Selva. This guy, and his mate, were very cooperative… I like the nice open view of the bird and the lovely moss perch. Post work looks excellent.

1 Like

Bird is beautiful–good and sharp. Love the perch, and the BG is well-handled. I do see some cloning marks on that big leaf on the right. The top of that leaf is fairly distracting, so I’d probably go ahead and clone it all the way out.

Another great image of an extremely attractive species. Perch and surroundings add enormously ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Lyle:
no cloning on the leaf; but I do see removing the leaf as an option for the composition. I agree there appears to be some color changes on the leaf but it was not altered in post.

Magnificent image. Can’t believe you all found one in the clear!!
I agree to clone out the UR bright leaf. It draws my eye a bit.
S