My Wife's Favorite from the Costa Rica Trip

This is a Turquoise-browed Motmot. We saw several along the Pacific coast near Jaco and on the Tarcoles River. This one was in a relatively undeveloped area just north of Jaco, though it’s in the process of being developed.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 806 mm, handheld from car, f/9, 1/400, iso 3200, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. I don’t have the crop data handy, but it’s nearly full height from a horizontal original. Taken in the early afternoon of April 26th.

3 Likes

Okay, Dennis, I can see why your wife likes this one best! What beautiful colors he sports. You did a fine job capturing a beautiful image of him that she can hang on a wall. That tale is really different, I’ve not seen a bird have a tale feather like that. Great shot, and that BG really makes him pop.

1 Like

Impressive job on the pose and color. Really saturated but under the canopy, the sensor seems to produce brilliant color. I might cut 20% off the left side to further de-center the Mot Mot.

Hi Dennis
How can you come back into the real world after photographing birds in Costa Rica? The coloring and detail is just amazing. I am surprised to see some noise in the feather at ISO 3200.
Peter

I can certainly see why this is your wife’s favorite image from your Costa Rica trip. This is stellar in every way Dennis. Getting a clean background like this in CR is nearly impossible, in fact getting any bird in CR without clutter in nearly impossible. Well done for sure. Love the colors of this bird and the back view and head turn. Good soft light as well. No nits from me at all. Impeccable.

Beautiful bird and expertly captured, Dennis. Well done.

One of my favorite birds there. You did well to get it on a clean perch and, most importantly, getting the more dynamic backside facing you. :wink: