Rufous Motmot

Back View

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We got pretty much rained out our first day at the Arenal Volcano Observatory Lodge, so when we just had light rain the next morning we put the rain gear on the cameras and had at it. This lodge isn’t really set up for birders, let alone bird photographers. It became famous when the volcano was erupting regularly.

We’d caught glimpses of this bird the day before and it came back to the same area pretty much on time and gave us a couple of angles. Light was very low, but that’s just something you live with in rainforest.

Specific Feedback

I’m not at all sure I like that bright background in the first, but I tried reducing the luminosity and it looked even worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC, monopod

1st image: 543 mm, f/9, 1/100, iso 16,000.
2nd image, 308 mm, f/9, 1/50, iso 10,000.

Both images preprocessed in DxO PureRaw 4 with subsequent processing in LR & PS CC. Both cropped from horizontal originals. Taken around 7:45 a.m.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Hi Dennis, I like both images with each giving a different perspective of the tropical surroundings. Details and color of the bird looks good to me on both. A striking subject well taken.