Rufous-tailed Jacamar

The Female

The Male

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We went into the tourist town of La Fortuna on the 26thof February and stopped at a private forest that offered access and tours, primarily for sloths. However, we went there primarily for birds. To me, this pair were the highlights of the visit, though there were some other nice birds (and a snake).

Specific Feedback

Are the bright backgrounds too much? These were perching in the shade with this really bright opening in the forest behind them and we were on a designated trail so there weren’t any good alternatives for background.

Technical Details

Both images: Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 669 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/250, iso 12,800. Preprocessed in DxO PureRaw 4, processed in LR & PS CC. Female cropped to 3384x4782, male cropped to 3342x4566. In both cases to avoid blowing out the bright background the birds were about a stop underexposed which I compensated for in processing. Taken at 11:57 and 11:58 respectively.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

I like the poses and comp . Great color and detail. I thought is was a Mot Mot but the tail gives it away. The bright spots are a little distracting but there is little you can do about it. That’s the way it is in the jungle.

These are both amazing shots Dennis. I really like the second one better. The poses, the BG, the catchlight, you’ve got everything hitting on all cylinders in these.

A striking pair of birds Dennis, well captured. Fine details and color on the bird. I could see trying to desaturate the BG a tad and see how that looked. But either way these are very fine images.