Rufous Motmot

We had gotten into our room at the Selva Verde Lodge and I walked out on the deck (we were on the second floor) and this Motmot was in the trees. Unfortunately it was quite dark where the bird perched and my iso was pretty high so it was very noisy. One of the members of our local camera club was touting On1’s Nonoise and I decided to try it on this and a few other images. For many images it works very well. Oddly, both this and my old standby produce horrid artifacts on Quetzal plumage, but I’ll get into that on another post

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything. I thought about trying to remove the small twig, but decided against it.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 570 mm, monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/50 (yes, that’s just one zero), iso 25,600, manual exposure. Noise reduction in On1, most processing in PS & LR CC. Cropped from a horizontal original, nearly full height. Final size was 3354 x 5232. Taken at 4:45 PM on April 21st.

1 Like

Hi Dennis
Lets see, 570mm, 1/50, ISO 25,600 and organ colored feathers, what could go wrong? You did a very good job on this posting. Did you ever try DXO Pure r\Raw 2, I think you can get a free trial. I have mixed feeling on the stick. (only remove if it can be seem-less)
Peter

Very nice, particularly considering the shooting parameters. Shooting at that ISO would have been unheard of not that long ago. The cameras and software are amazing. One trick I like is to decrease clarity in LR/PS-camera raw filter, to soften the background and remove noise.

Amazing shot for that ISO, Dennis. Well done with the processing.

He is beautiful, Dennis. So glad you were able to capture this shot. Really amazing at that high of ISO as well as cropping, to turn out this well. That head turn was a nice addition.

As others have said, this is an impressive image considering the high ISO that you used. I don’t think I’ve ever shot above 12,800. It’s nice to see a basically clean image that is well processed at this high ISO. But this is the price you pay for not using the fill flash. It is just so dark under the canopy. I could also see cloning away the diagonal stick on the right side of the frame.