Emerald Toucanet

Taken at a setup on a balcony in the Savegre Valley. We were under a covered area for shooting which was nice because it rained both afternoons we had the opportunity to shoot there. This was the one bird my wife really wanted to see, but it didn’t end up being her favorite of the trip.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 575 mm Monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/1000, iso 12,800. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image. Cropped to 6036x4704. Taken at 2:27 on April 25th. The background is dark cloud forest.

2 Likes

I really like the composition here and your processing for an image taken at ISO 12,800 is impressive. The dark background works really well on this image. You got a nice pose.

Hi Dennis
Every thing here works right down to the blue-green tail feather. Thank you of bring us the Emerald Toucanet.
Peter

What a cool bird. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one before so thank you for sharing! Its overall proportions seem so awkward and cartoonish, but it evolved that way for a reason. So glad the set up worked out for you to get this shot even if you had to push the ISO. Luckily newer cameras and software can deal with that and make the most of it.

Such a wonderful pose and capture of this beautiful bird, Dennis. What could you all have seen that caused your wife to not have this one still as her favorite? Amazing details at such a high ISO. Impressive.

Wonderful pose for an amazing bird! I love the perch and the non-BG. Very nice details for low, flat light, a very high ISO and just over a 50% crop.

Hi Dennis, nice colors on the bird - a striking specimen. Nice details given the conditions and settings. I like the perch as well and the bird pops nicely against the dark background.