Broken Crystal

I was out this morning with a rental lens to try some more eagle photography. There was more ice on the river than last week, and with the bright sun it was glinting off of the formations. I thought some of the formations and patterns were really pretty, although for the most part they were very chaotic.

I probably should have changed my settings, but I didn’t really even think about it. I was kind of fixated on keeping my bird settings to stay ready. :slight_smile:

Specific Feedback Requested

Any. I had some trouble isolating the taller formation here that was the most interesting. I can’t say I did a good job with moving my feet at the time. It’s a fault of mine. However, I was a little limited by the water’s edge. I did also make a tighter crop to see if that helped bring in the focus or simplify at all, but I still felt like I liked this one better.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7C with Sigma 100-400 at 400mm, f/16, 1/2000s, ISO 1000. This is cropped a little. I made a local adjustment on the vertical ice formation to try and pull it out a little and also an opposite adjustment to bring down some of the brightness in the rest of the image. I also made some levels, contrast, clarity and structure adjustments on the various layers.

1 Like

Karla, this is a fun look from a low perspective that shows off the mix of crystals and plates very well. That vertical bit is shown off nicely and your depth-of-field choice looks good.

@Mark_Seaver Thanks for the comments, Mark.