Broken Toadstool

This photo was taken before I started using focus stacking. I like this photo. Mostly because I learned so many things about lighting . This photo was taken with a pen light and paper snoot (to the left) to illuminate the toadstool cap from the outside to give the inside glow to the gills. All other light is ambient.

The toadstool was found growing on a moss covered log.

Specific Feedback Requested

Some questions I have and would like feedback on:
…The foreground moss is out of focus. Is this generally considered acceptable for a photo like this?
…Your thoughts on the light from my snoot wrapping around the cap of the toadstool. Does it distract from the photo?
…Your thoughts on the background bokeh . Are the moss sprouts a distraction?
…I realize that the subject has some softness to it. How do you feel about less than tack sharp fro this photo?
…Your thoughts on composition? This is a cropped photo. The original has much more moss in front and to the left and right.

All other CC is welcomed.

Technical Details

Canon 5DIV with EF100 lens | f18 | 0.8s | ISO 100 | 100mm
I illuminated the left side of the toadstool cap using a pen light and paper snoot. The paper was rolled into a cone and I cut the tip of the cone to provide the hole size needed.
Processed using ACR and Photoshop.

Some questions I have and would like feedback on:
…The foreground moss is out of focus. Is this generally considered acceptable for a photo like this?

I think so. Even with my stacked images, I’ll often leave the immediate foreground OOF in order to draw the viewer to my subject. Also, I really like a softer approach to scenes like this one. A hidden world revealed. An OOF foreground can add to the peeking in sort of feel.

…Your thoughts on the light from my snoot wrapping around the cap of the toadstool. Does it distract from the photo?

No, but I would have adjusted it so the cap wasn’t illuminated so much. Maybe you would have needed 10 foot arms though, lol. I use an LED panel on a Gorilla Pod so I can position it and then check the screen. Reposition as needed. Holding the thing is just a pain, but I’ve done it in a pinch.

…Your thoughts on the background bokeh . Are the moss sprouts a distraction?
Yes they are.

…I realize that the subject has some softness to it. How do you feel about less than tack sharp fro this photo?

With non-stacked shots you have to pick your point of focus and be done with it. Getting the gills sharp is the way to go since that’s the central idea for the photo - to make us wonder and study them. But ideally I’d like the leading edge of the cap crisp and parts of the stipe as well. There are plenty of compromise images like this in my mushroom gallery. I was using a manual macro lens on my digital cameras and so focus stacking was a bit hit and miss so I never did it until I got an autofocus system macro for my rig.

…Your thoughts on composition? This is a cropped photo. The original has much more moss in front and to the left and right.

It is a bit smack on center both from a vertical and horizontal position. It feels more static and less engaging than it might be if you adjusted things to include more on one side or the other. Play with it a little and see.

Before I wrap up - this is so fun, btw, that you ask for very specific things. But one thing you didn’t touch on is the exposure and noise. This is a pretty noisy shot, especially where I think you boosted the exposure and shadows on the mushroom cap and the background. Running this through a denoise program will improve it, but I think a longer exposure with this kind of ISO and aperture combination would help.

I’d have stopped for this little scene in a heartbeat. A photography friend from many years ago was entranced by the same kind of thing and we’d always find what we called a “time sucking mushroom log” every time we went out. Each of us happily occupied on either end of it finding tiny worlds. Looking forward to more of your discoveries!

ETA - these look like honey mushrooms - a choice edible!

1 Like

WOW! I LOVE the light here!! @Kris_Smith has covered things very well. For me, the OOF FG is not distracting because it blends in so nicely. I like the cap being rim lighted but the bottom part (below the crack) might be reduced a little with a mask. I would remove the moss sprouts, especially the lighter one. Focus definitely hit on the most interesting part. I don’t feel the composition is crowded on the left.

I think your lighting here is genius!! I have a pocket-sized flashlight that I can tape a short length of PVC pipe onto that I’ve used for selectively light painting a large tree but never thought to try it with a macro shot. Would need to push in a smaller tube. Hope I can remember the idea long enough to try it!

1 Like

I like almost everything about this image. OOF areas work great to frame the main subject. And the lighting of the mushroom cap is magical. The strongly horizontal crop was all the right choice. The only thing I notice is that it appears about a 1/2 stop underexposed, at least on my monitor. That sort of works with this lighting, but not sure it’s necessary.