Brown Hare

Brown Hare - original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Early evening in the South Downs National Park (UK), the end of a beautiful day with the sun getting low and beginning to show the warmth of the days end. I was looking for Red Kites and White Tailed Eagles, but for the first time in my life I encountered a number of Hares around the field margins, enjoying the sun and the abundant food. They are nervous and shy but when they see you they seem to stand still for a few seconds before darting off into the undergrowth.
This was my best shot of the day, and I am very happy with it, but it had some OOF foliage in the foreground. It proved a little fiddly to remove this and it’s an imperfect job but I think that it has worked well enough to allow the overall picture to be free of distractions.

Specific Feedback

Has the removal of the OOF foreground foliage worked okay?
Any other comments or suggestions

Technical Details

Lumix G9 with Pano/Leica 100-400 @ 400mm
1/1600 f6.3 ISO 800
Processing undertaken in Lightroom.

The removal looks good to me. If you hadn’t posted the original I wouldn’t have known. The rabbit looks good although I could wish for a tiny bit more room on the bottom. Maybe it wasn’t in the cards - these guys are so damn fast. It has an intent and interested look and makes me wonder what it sees that has so much attention. The environment speaks so much about where they live and why they have adapted such long legs, faces and ears. Nice catch.

I shoot with that combo all the time and love it.

Thanks Kristen, I like the idea of a bit more space under the hare, it helps to further emphasis it in the environment…
I think that it was looking at me!

The removal of the distracting grass is a big plus. He is adorable! Great shot!