Bryce Canyon Layers

When I saw this week’s challenge, I thought there’s no better illustration of layers than our National Parks out West. Last May I was fortunate to be at Bryce when we had a few inches of snow fall. The geology of Bryce Canyon, consisting of multiple kinds of rocks “cemented” together, is fascinating. Sony RX10M4, ISO 100, f/6, 1/250, 170mm, handheld. All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Beautiful, Jim. Bryce is a great place to show off layers of many kinds and you picked a fine aspect for doing it. It’s an interesting photograph in that it feels like two images in one to me. My eye keeps alternating between the lower half of the image and the upper half and no where in between (particularly in the larger image). My one suggestion would be to get rid of the out of focus branch sticking into the right side of the frame through cropping or cloning. It doesn’t seem to add anything and is a bit of a distraction…

Thanks Dennis. That branch stuck out like a sore thumb…don’t know why I didn’t catch it earlier. Anyway, a slight crop took care of it.

Jim: Takes me back. We visited Bryce in winter a few years ago and it was magical. Fine image of a special moment. >=))>

Thank you Bill.� Quite a surprise (and a delight) to see 3-4" of
snow on May 20.

Jim, Bryce is a great example of layers and having the snow adds some fine “frosting” onto all of those layers showing them off even more. This is a lovely view where the reds in the foreground catch most of my attention as they contrast well with the layering in the distance.

Interesting that this has both photographic and geologic layers.

Layers galore in this scene, Jim! I love the contrast between the snow and the orange rocks. I also enjoy the separation of the background hills from the foreground. It add a huge amount of depth to the scene. Very nice shot and perfect for the challenge!