Snowy Hoodoo

The topic of geology immediately reminded me of my visits to some of our National Parks out west. I had long wished to see the famous Bryce Canyon hoodoos under a blanket of fresh snow, but hadn’t thought that was possible during my visit in the latter part of May, 2019. I was happy to find this lone sentinel standing by itself, away from the hundreds nearby. These geologic structures were formed by frost weathering and stream erosion of the river and lake bed sedimentary rocks over thousands of years.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony RX10M4, 56mm, ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/1000. Slightly cropped to enlarge hoodoo, and brightened shadow areas a bit.

4 Likes

This is really good, Jim. Love the interplay between the big trees, the hoodo and the hint of the back hoodo. The red and white contrast is beautiful. I could see cropping out some of the sky.

Has a beanie and snow on his nose! Great contrast of stone colour and snow - and beautifully framed by the trees.

A stunning formation in a perfect setting, with perfect processing! 11/10!

Really beautiful snowy photo! It almost doesn’t seem to go together. The Hoodoo looks so desertish and the snow is such a contrast! Nice composition!

Nice one, Jim. This really stands out as a the red colors amongst the monochrome feeling of everything else. I’ve always wanted to catch Bryce in snow. Congratulations on your good luck with a spring snowfall. Very cool.

@Harley_Goldman @Vanessa_Hill @David_Bostock @Mike_Friel @Diane_Miller Thank you all for your comments and Harley, I agree about the cropping.

Jim, those hoodoos sure do stand out from all the snowy surroundings. What a great scene to experience and photograph. The heavy tree cover is not the “usual” view of Bryce.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver , I did want a less iconic view of Bryce.