Evening at Bryce

An early evening image from Bryce Canyon. The sun was very low allowing for some highlights against the shadows. I recently reprocessed this image and feel the colors are more natural now.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1DS III, EF 200mm + 1.4, 1/25 Sec @ f/10, ISO 100, Tripod, Polarizer

2 Likes

A well-done landscape David. You caught this scene at just the right moment to highlight the upper areas of the hoodoos. The color tones all look very realistic too, just as I remember them :grinning:. And I like that the taller ones are positioned off to the left.

A good look from Bryce. The colors look very natural and you present the shadowed areas very well. No nits here.

The light really worked in your favor here - the highlight through that strip of hoodoos isolates them so well. I also like how it picks out the trees and makes them more obvious. The colors look right to me although I haven’t been to Bryce in 20 years. The lighter rock in the shadowed area puts some interest there as well. Lovely.

David, the spotlight effect shows very well here. You’ve retained plenty of detail in the shadow areas, which adds well to the overall interest.

Thank you, @Jim_Lockhart, @Harley_Goldman, @Kris_Smith and @Mark_Seaver for the kind comments.

David: One of my favorite places on the planet and you’ve done it justice. Exceptionally good handling of the light on a wonderful scene. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Beautiful image David. I’ve never been, but it seems like a very kind of take your breath away kind of place. And sort of alien looking. And a lot of photos I’ve seen of it seem to portray that. But what I like about this image is it has a familiar, welcoming look to it. I think it’s the way the light is hitting the rock cliffs. It’s the same way it could hit a forest of trees or a field of flowers. It’s just so friendly looking. You captured it so well.