Sunset in Zion

I took this image at the end of a very long day hiking in Zion National Park. It was my first time there and I absolutely fell in love. It’s a whirlwind of
colors, cliffs and unique rock formations. I’m still going through the photos that I’ve taken, but so far very few capture the beauty that I witnessed. I guess I’ll have to go back :wink:.

Update: This second edit lightens up the sky a bit and darkens the two “caverns” in the bottom left that were found distracting.

Specific Feedback Requested

Really anything, things that you like and things that you don’t like!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
This image is an HDR from 3 different exposures. I love dramatic B&W and I figured colors weren’t adding much to the photo here. I did quite some work with dodging and burning, darkening the area in the right and the sky, while focusing on the line produced by the three rock formations.

lorenzoriano
3 Likes

Good dramatic take on Zion. For my tastes, I might back off the blackness of the sky a bit and I think I am seeing some haloing from the blend along the sky edges, especially on the lower right cliffs. Maybe bring up the shadow detail a bit in the amphitheater in the lower left area? I really like the look of the foggy distance. Good sense of mystery to it.

You definitely have a dramatic B&W effect going on. I like how the diagonal shapes of the cliffs lead you to the end of the hazy canyon. I wonder what it would look like if the sky were less “dramatic”? To me, it detracts from the beauty of the canyon.

Amazing image that’s so dramatic. I would change the sky little, if at all. Perhaps raise it’s blacks just a bit. There are two circular objects in the lower left cliffs that draw attention. Perhaps they’re caves. These are minor suggestions because this is a great image overall.

Thanks for the feedback everybody! I’ve made some modifications to follow your suggestions. I would still prefer the dark sky to be honest.