Buff -banded Rail

I had seen a little rail cross the shallow, rocky creek too far away for a decent shot. If I sit real still, I’ll catch him coming back across the water. I was sitting so still, a second rail came within feet of my watery seat and I wasn’t able to focus on him until he was halfway across the creek. Most of the shots I have of the bird are butt shots, but once or twice he turned to look for something to eat among the rocks.

Specific Feedback Requested

The reflection of the bird isn’t all that great. Should the image be cropped a little more from the bottom edge?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 2500 150-600@600mm Hand-Held f6.3 1/5000

Adjustments in ACR were Highlights reduced and Shadows lightened.

In PS, an OOF bright rock was cloned out of sight. Gradient burns from RHS and bottom edge. Separate Curves Adjustment layer over rocks to darken them just a bit. An OOF bug above the bird cloned out. Image flipped horizontally.

2 Likes

The lighting is the thing that makes this special for me. I’ve never seen this bird either so that another cool thing. Pose, light, all great. Cropping - you asked about the bottom edge. I would definitely NOT crop any more from the bottom. It’s already tight enough there with the reflections.

Glennie, I wouldn’t change a thing. This is sensational. As Keith said, the light and pose are awesome.

It was great he gave you that head turn – it worked out well with good light. I love the detail you got! You have the most wonderful birds down there! Definitely no cropping from the bottom! The head and OOF rock reflections are quite OK and they have breathing room at the bottom of the frame. I could see some taken off the left, though. There is a lot of visual weight in the right half.

Do you have a new lens, or have I not been paying attention?

Agree with above comments. He did give you a nice pose . I like the composition and would not crop as the water adds a nice element.

Thanks Diane! No new lens. Just the brick disguised as a Sigma lens. I was fitter when I purchased it!

Thanks for the advice on the balance of the image. It does seem a bit heavy on the right. I might try flipping it back to its original format. The weight may be shifted out of frame instead of building up on that side which has created the wall?

Thanks all for your very kind comments.

Excellent, Glennie. The lighting and head turn really make this image special. Excellent work.

This is an outstanding image with incredible lighting. Composition works well as presented. Most of the rails I have seen hang out in similar dark settings making the processing somewhat problematic due to high ISO. You handled it very well.

Hi Glennie
The lighting, coloring, head turn, eye contact and reflection are out-standing. This is one pretty Buff-banded Rail. I really like the framing as it is. Great work.
Peter

@glennie, congratulations on the EP! Well deserved!

Oh! That was unexpected! Thank you!

1 Like

Stunning shot of a wonderful rail, one I have never seen nor heard of :wink: … Thanks for this great introduction to the species :slight_smile: ! And congrats on a well-deserved EP! Cheers, Hans

1 Like