Buffalo Valley

Grand Teton is so photographed, I really tried to find a spot that might be more original, and maybe not so photographed.

Specific Feedback Requested

I was trying to go outside the standard Teton shots with this, so I’m curious about my composition and subject placement in this image. Also, continuing to look for feedback on my post processing (too much/too little?).

Technical Details

1 Like

Nolan, your idea of looking for a different scene on the Tetons works very nicely here. It’s not easy finding a different perspective. Or, maybe, I should say we all fall into the trap of the iconic look as it’s a winner no matter what… :+1:
I have an off the grid take of this area I really like too. … :sunglasses:
The only thought for change might be to polarized the scene to cut some of the BG haze. But, as always there are options to experiment with and some work and some do not. That is what drives many of us is the variables to be tried over time… :clown_face:

1 Like

Yes, the Teton area is heavily photographed. Still a magnificent place.

Can’t comment much on the processing as I don’t know what you started with.

I know you are new to NPN. Please note that is all of the galleries, the guidelines/rules ask:

Please only post one image (or group of similar images) per day.

Thanks your your cooperation on that requirement.

Hello Keith, I appreciate the heads up on the 1 image per day, as I had missed that. I will adhere to that moving forward.

1 Like

I’ve never been to this area so I don’t know if this is sunrise or sunset light, but I like it. This does look different than the other compositions I’ve seen of the Tetons, and I like this one. The river leads nicely toward the peaks, and the dip in the ridgeline frames them well.

I think you processing looks great, but I do find the OOF grass in the foreground distracting from the lovely sharpness of the rest of the image. You didn’t add technical details so I don’t know how close you were, but if you could have swept them out of the shot for a brief moment I think that would have improved it. If not, it would be a good scene to play with focus blending.

I was at about 200mm on this shot, and the grass was too far away to move. I actually took some shots elsewhere on this trip to try out focus blending. I have not done any of that yet, so that technique will be all new for me. I didn’t think about using it on this shot unfortunately, so I am stuck with it having the out of focus grasses.

1 Like

Nolan, if the OOF grass is an issue you could always crop up slightly and than do a Content Aware or Clone of a small section too. Just suggestions as the photo is a really nice scene and as you’ve pointed out a bit off the grid from other iconic takes.

1 Like

I was not aware of the option to use the polarizer for haze. I had really only thought of it as a tool when shooting water, or trying for some different color tones. Thank you for this tip, as I’ve now read through several articles on this exact point!

I’m late here – good points above and I’d add that for me the scene feels like it needs a bit of CW rotation. It could be just a perspective illusion due to the flow of shapes rather than an un-level camera. In that case it wouldn’t need rotation but distortion – I love that we all have view cameras these days!

For landscapes, we also have a lot of help with after-the-fact polarizer simulation with tools like masked contrast or the Dehaze slider. It would take some very careful masking (which we also now have) but the very lovely mountains could be given a bit more contrast here.

I don’t shoot a lot of landscapes, but I’ll often shoot a scene first and then think about digging out the polarizer and shoot it again, maybe with several different rotations for different elements, and combine them in post. Sometimes the best result is just from masked contrast effects.

1 Like