Grand Tetons II

and here’s the RAW file:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 16-80mm f2.8-4.0 (1/50 sec at f20, ISO 200) Levels, color balance and reduction of saturation of reds and cyans. I tried a lot of different things to the TAW filke as it was very flat and infused with cyan. TK’s Luminositry Masks and curves to increase midtone contrast. Orton effects turned it into a blue mess, but once color corrected, the dynamic range was a little bit better. I also cropped out a lot of the water from the bottom. I posted the raw file for you to compare and it will be interesting to see how the Landscape photographers would have tackled this image. Thank you for looking…Jim

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hey Jim…nice pano here. This is beautiful and peaceful given the flat water.

Thanks so much for including the RAW file. I need to do that more often. You’re right about the cyan cast to the RAW, but wasn’t that primarily related to WB setting at capture?

I really like the infusion of midtone contrast in the majority of the image, except for the treeline. The RAW has more green than was conveyed in the processed image, and the warmth of the treeline with lack of green makes for an incongruous feel of fall (as opposed to spring - given the lack of snow on Mt. Moran). Of course it’s your vision and not mine, but I would be tempted to bring back some greens in the treeline.

Like the crop you took. No changes recommended here.

Regarding the management of the blues, I see some inconsistency between the color of the sky vs. the reflection. Perhaps that is the nature of the true reflection, but I am personally more drawn to blues that have magenta within them (as shown in the reflection) , compared to the sky which has more of a true cyan cast. Again, the incongruity of the blues is more what catches my eye, rather than their outright color. It’s your call as to the color of blue, but i’d be interested in what others think regarding the consistency of blue in the sky and reflection as I would be tempted to bring them pretty close together.

Beautiful shot here…thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you. It is a work in progress and I agree with your assessment. I’ll see what I can do about the difference between lake and sky. It should be an easy selection. I like the darkness of the trees, but the greens need to be reestablished. Again, thank you for this critique. …Jim

1 Like

Dear @Jim_Zablotny, great post processing. I love tones of the image and the symmetry of the composition, great work. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like