Duality

I’m reworking this image from a few years ago…I find that I’m getting closer to printing some of my shots large, and am kinda appalled by my garish processing techniques from years past. I need some help with this image if you don’t mind. I’ve already done a good bit of texture, dehire and contrast work to the raw file, but it’s still coming across a little flat to me. Yet, previously I way overdid it. Please let me know how you perceive this and how close to “done” is it to your eye? Thanks everyone!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Single Frame - D800E, 180mm @ F/10, 1/80, no filters.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Jim:

My input on the image is that it still seems flat as you mentioned. There’s not enough light on the mountains to pull this off for me. I tried doing a few things in Photoshop with masking and color balance (there is a distinct blue/cyan cast in the mountain) to see if it helps. While I think this helps some, I’m not happy with the result. Not sure where else to take it to make it work well as a print. Here’s my result.

I like your rendition. The lower contrast, kind of hazy look gives the image a nice dreamy look. The more traditional presentation shown by Keith loses some of that look and to my eye, becomes a bit more pedestrian. Works for me as is.

Maybe apply the Keith Bauer changes only to the mountains and leave the sky as is. The clouds look awesome but the mountains could use a touch of contrast.

I know what you mean about printing. For whatever reason an images flaws becomes much more apparent when you’re holding its print in your hand. I reprocessed virtually every image after I started printing.

Here is my take on the image. First, I did a curves adjustment on just the mountain and also decreased the blue in the blue RGB curve to reduce the blue /cyan color cast. Then I used Selective Color to increase the whiteness in the snow, and finally added a warming filter to the sky. Like Keith, I’m still not happy with it but don’t know what else to do.

2 Likes

I really like what @Tony_Siciliano has done with his rework, I think it strikes a nice balance between the original and @Keith_Bauer rework. To me the issues with the original were the blue cast in the mountain (and not the sky), and the need for more clarity/texture in the mountain. I think Tony’s rework does a great job addressing both of those issues in a subtle but effective manner.

1 Like

Jim, I agree with @Ed_McGuirk. @Tony_Siciliano’s suggestion is very subtle but very effective I think. Having said that, I have no qualms whatsoever with the original if I have not seen Tony’s rework. The composition is spot on I think. The peak is balanced very well with that lit cumulus. Good eyes!!

I really like the clarity in Keith’s version, and the color changes in Tony’s. Great ideas for an already great image!

Thanks @Keith_Bauer and @Tony_Siciliano for your perspective…this has been super helpful and the advice is great. I’ll rework the clarity and I really like the subtle reduction in the blue haze Tony brought in. @Ed_McGuirk - you reinforced one of my personal concerns with the image regarding the heavy blue cast. While the mountain was in shade still and the sun had just risen, there was a natural blue cast to the base, but my contrast work overdid it so thanks! @Harley_Goldman, @John_Williams and @Adhika_Lie - thanks for your perspectives. I really do like this forum. When I get a chance to put more time in to it, I may repost it for some follow up from the group. Thanks again everyone.

Jim,

Thought I had already commented - apparently not…

A beautiful mountain landscape with a fantastic sky and set of clouds.

I would agree the mountains are a bit flat. Hard to say, but suspect the atmosphere was probably kinda like this given time of day, atmospheric haze, etc. But for printing, I would sure want to opt for something like Keith’s or some combo there of with Tony’s rendition. In the end though, it’s all personal taste and what you’re going after in your final print.

As already mentioned, you’re starting off with a beautiful scene and I hope your final print comes out beautifully.

Lon

This is a fantastic scene Jim. I agree with others that a combination of Keith’s contrast adjustment on the mountains and Tony’s input on the color adjustment bring your great image to another level.

I feel somewhat jaded here, thinking that the lighting depicts more drama than these renditions provide. Done with levels control in Pixelmator on iPad Pro (I’m traveling).