Grand Teton

As this is my first post, I’ll start with a subject that is probably way too overdone. But I want to begin with something simple, that I can get critiques on my edit and composition.

Specific Feedback Requested

Please give feedback on a bit of composition (though this one is rather straight forward), but really on my editing and post process work.

Technical Details

1 Like

The colors and fog are delightful! I would clone away the bit of shore in the LRC though.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN! I like how you have maintained the softness created by the fog. The pastel colors compliment that well. I agree with @Ronald_Murphy about the lower right corner.

1 Like

Welcome Nolan!

That’s a charming scene with a really nice combination of elements (fog, fall color, sky color, reflection, etc.) The composition looks great to me, but I agree with the others that it’s better without the bits of shore on the right.

I could see adding a bit more contrast to the sky to bring out the color more. Here’s a quick and crude example. It may be too much, but hopefully gives the idea.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Nolan. This is a great first post and I look forward to seeing more of your work. I agree with the others about cloning or cropping out the lower right corner. I also like @John_Williams touch of contrast to boost the colors. Wonderful fall color there. I never got the chance to visit the Tetons for fall.

1 Like

I appreciate all the feedback. I have tried to use the clone and heal tool to remove the shoreline which crept into the bottom right corner. I also added a bit of contrast and color to the sky. I didn’t push it too far, but I do like the subtle change that does create. I guess going much further I’m afraid it may feel overdone or fake. I’d like to keep the realism there. Again, thank you all for the feedback!

2 Likes

Nolan,

Welcome to NPN! What a wonderful first post! The softness and reduced contrast is certainly fitting for the misty conditions. But I would agree bumping the contrast just inthe sky and mountain peak, just slightly.

I see youv’e done that in your repost, and terrific job cloning out that corner. I think you’ve nailed the repost! This is most certainly a print and frame ready image. I’d hang that in my living room!

Now if you are to print this, you might consider making the tedious task of cloning out most of the floaters in the water. Tough call, after all it’s all quite natural and it’s almost like if you clone one, you’ve got to clone it all. Might be worth it, maybe?

Composition, processing, all quite excellent. A few tweaks like youv’e started on and this will be super!

Tip on the post: whenever anyone makes some edits and posts the re-worked image, you can simply edit your original post and add the image there. That way, viewers and click to cycle through the original and updated image without having to scroll down in the thread.

Welcome aboard. We look forward to more images and to your contributions and participation!

Lon

Repost looks great Nolan!

Welcome, Nolan! I think you’ll find this a great place to hang out! This is a wonderful first post – an often-shot scene but you have a refreshingly different take on it. I love the high key soft misty light. The repost addresses my initial thoughts.

If it were mine, I’d play with possibly a little more saturation int he trees on the left and slightly more detail in the mountains – but only slightly. I’ll always play with WB, too, just to see if more details can be revealed without losing the magic. But maybe you did that and decided it wasn’t the best. It is a wonderful image as presented and definitely a frame-and-hang!!