Bufflehead Drake

I wanted to extend my reach so I switched cameras for the first time in at least six months and was pleasantly surprised with this image of this Drake at 50% of full frame on my Nikon D 500. In full sunlight, these birds are extremely hard to expose properly without blowing out the whites or hiding the detail on the darks. I wish it was closer to me but at this location, they don’t get any closer than about 50 feet.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anyone have any comments on the exposure?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-650, 500 PF +1.4 extender at roughly a thousand millimeters 35 mm equivalent. F8, 2500th, handheld, 50% of full frame, minimal sharpening

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David
Welcome to the world of extended reach cameras. You did a great job of controlling the whites and other darker tones. The detail is very good and water droplets add a nice touch.
Peter

This is lovely David, a beautiful exposure which shows the iridescence shades of purple and green so well, sweet shot!

Excellent, David. The whites and iridescence on the head are beautiful and I like the half-opened wings. Nice looking water as well.

I like the pose and all of that wing detail. Good colors and head detail.