Bullock’s Oriole

Bullock’s Oriole (Icterus bullockii)

Place: Phoenix, AZ
Date: May 12, 2018
Equipment: Nikon D7200, AF-S Nikkor 200-500 f/5.6 VR @ 500mm, tripod
Exposure: ISO 800, Aperture priority spot metered, 1/200th @ f/5.6
Raw, PS CC 2018 on Mac, cropped to 62% of full frame

This small water feature just off our patio attracts a lot of migrants birds just passing through, like this male Bullock’s Oriole. But the light often has too much contrast or falls unevenly, so I have to take my chances at photos here. But at least I can stay inside with the air conditioning while I shoot through the glass patio door.

Very nice capture with great light and nice clarity, Richard. The composition, with the bird framed by the structure works very well. Sure is bright and colorful!

Beautiful bird and wonderful detail in his eye Richard. I like the composition you’ve chosen and the DOF helps to make the Oriole stand out even more. Great capture.

Boy that sure is an intense color. The bird is very nicely captured and I like the nice intense look back pose. I wonder how ii would look with a very slight crop off the top to eliminate the few areas of bg behind the water feature. It might unbalance what y have here. so cloning out the few spots may be another option.

Hi Rich, beautiful bird well captured. Love the backwards looking pose. I also like the framing in the image. Nice frame.