Bumblebee on New England Aster

My first post here. Just joined a couple of days ago.
Image made during windy conditions.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Did the flower needed to be more in focus? I didn’t have enough shutter speed for a smaller aperture.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

should I crop the image slightly to the right? Is the space too much?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII + 180/3.5 + Tripod
f/8, 1/80, ISO 800
Image cropped to the left about 50%. there were two out of focus flowers. I wanted enough room for the sway of the flowers.
Canon DPP4, PSCC, Nik Detail Extractor @ 30% on the flower and bee

Appreciate comments and suggestions.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Welcome to the NPN Ravi. First I love the composition, perfect really. I have the exact same setup as you do except I just upgraded the camera. I use to try and get everything in perfect focus but I have backed off from that lately. The bee is really the subject here and having the flower a bit out of focus more so away from the bee and better as you get closer seems to work well. The advantage is the wider opening for more light. The bee looks well focused here however 1/80 exposure is a little slow even with a tripod, the bee wiggles even if we do not see it. I would try higher ISO and post process the noise out. Lately I have been using aperture priority and bracket 1/3 stop + and set ISO higher at 10 frames per second watching the shutter speed to be sure it is fast enough. A Windy conditions really make it hard. On this photo I might try adjusting contrast on the bee to make her stick out. I love the color here, wonderful photo.

Ravi: Welcome to NPN in general and Macro in particular. This is a terrific first post. I like your DOF/POF choice and the center of the flower being sharp is a nice bonus. The detail on the bee is exceptional as is the exposure. The parts of the flower that are OOF work really well with the BG. Superbly crafted image IMO. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more. :+1::+1:>=))>

Ravi, I want to first welcome you to NPN, and as Bill already said, particularly to Macro. What a great first post! The details and colors are wonderful. You got the focus where it needed to be. I just love that out of focus flower in the background, making the bee just pop out in the photo, and then you have the flower that he is on to encircle him with matching colors to the background. Great composition as well. I don’t see how it can get much better than this. :+1::+1:

Thanks Dean, Bill and Shirley for your comments. I hope to learn from participating in this form to be a better photographer.

Ravi, welcome to NPN. This is a beauty, it’s nicely warm and inviting with the pin flower and background. The sharpness of the bee and it’s perch stand out well.

Thanks everyone for your comments and words of encouragement. I am pleasantly surprised to see editor’s pick on my first post. Thanks again.