Burned Trees And Stump, Yosemite NP

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I came across this scene while roaming through the forest along the Merced River in Yosemite. My eye was drawn to the diagonal burnt tree and the charred stump amid the new underbrush. Could I have captured the results of the forest fire better?

Creative direction

I wanted to document the increasing devastation of forest fires.

Specific Feedback

Does the viewer have the same emotional response I had coming upon the scene? Would they have taken the photograph from a different angle or placed the stump and diagonal tree differently in the image?

Technical Details

Pentax 6 camera, Ilford XP2 Super 400 film, scanned on an Epson V750 Pro scanner and processed in Photoshop

Description

By happenstance I came upon this scene and wanted to document the increasing risk of forest fire.

This photo starkly shows the devastation of forest fires. I like the tension of the falling branch and burnt stump, and the sharp tack branches of the surrounding forest. It reminded of trees that are waterlogged, with little foliage and almost bleached white.

Thank you. I was really affected by the sight. I thought B&W better depicted the devastation than color

Hey Paul – Great idea here. I, too, have sought to show the effects of fire in Yosemite. You asked if this composition – which I like very much – sparks an emotional response. For me the answer is no, because I feel the stump is too small in the frame. Featuring it larger, perhaps with a very wide lens, would have hit me over the head with the drama of the loss and damage.

Thanks for your thoughts. I underutilize my wide angle lens. I don’t own a really wide angle, too much equipment to carry. Paul