Burst

Another old favorite that I’ve updated with some better processing. I found this on a log across a trail in my first explorations here in Wisconsin. Good thing it was an out and back trail since I didn’t see it on the way in, but it stopped me in my tracks on the way out. The little sporophytes are so cute and I love them in any moss photo.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

My only thought is one of the cropping I did in the field. I may have a look in the catalog and see if I changed it up at all, but this is what I have for now. Any thoughts or idea for processing are welcome.

Technical Details

Tripod
Used my Olympus 90mm f/2 macro, but can’t recall the aperture - probably f/8 or 11 and of course manually focused

Lr for everything including a wb tweak, some work to even out colors and bring up texture. Not a whole lot, really.

2 Likes

Nice find here Kris, well-named, and I’m thinking that’s an old birch or aspen giving birth before our eyes. Love the details you’ve captured here and the green looks great with the light background. Only thing I can think of is placing it a bit off center.

Thanks @Jim_Lockhart - yeah, this is a cute little scene that I’m glad I saw and took the time over. The moss is almost centered here, but not quite, I guess I could crop more to shift it, but I don’t know if that would remove too much context. Then again, how much of the old birch do we need to see?

Hi Kris,
did you crop your image? Maybe you have a bit more space at the top and the bottom?

I messed around a little bit with your image. Using stretching and content-aware fill to end up with a vertical 4x5 aspect ratio. It was just a quick experiment to visualize what a possible outcome might look like:

I like your take on this, Jens. I don’t believe I cropped at all in post. Probably should have.