The missing spark (+1 re-work)

A rework with suggestions from you lovely people - a crop and some lightening of the darker stems behind -

Thoughts?

This is an older shot, but one I especially love. I found this patch of what I think is haircap moss on the side of the trail, I was initially attracted by the sporophytes that were spent of their spores. These two were more isolated and I was able to get the camera sensor lined up on both of them so they would be sharp. I find sporophytes to be terribly expressive even though they are just the reproductive parts of ancient plants.

At the time I was using my legacy Olympus 90mm f/2 macro from my 35mm days, so no autofocus or bracketing and I wasn’t doing stacking either, so this is a single shot.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I revamped the processing here using masking and other techniques I didn’t have mastery of in 2015 when I took this. I think it works to bring out the emotion in the scene, and the lighting. Thoughts on processing ideas welcome.

Technical Details

Tripod and possibly a CPL
Lumix GH3
OM 90mm f/2 macro at probably f/4

Lr for a bit of a crop and work to tame the colors, white balance and add texture and sharpening. Work with masks to improve lighting on the stage as it were. Ps for some distraction removal, a bit of burning through a luminosity mask.

1 Like

I like the two sporophytes that are leaning into each other and appear to be sharing a secret. They look like some kind of aliens. While the background provides context for them, I would like to see less of that and have the focus totally about the sporophytes.

Looks like they’re having a conversation. I’d dodge the dark bits in the background as they compete with the two main characters. Not necessarily the top part, but those dark vertical lines.

Hi Kris, I can see why you have a special fondness for this.
There’s a deep and mysterious story in that whispering between the two has-beens’, :slight_smile:

I really like it! (Love seems such a strong word for having just met ya know :roll_eyes: )

I love it too, Kris. It is like peaking in on a private conversation between two sporophytes. It has a very soft intimate feel. What about cropping off just a bit of the top, which would eliminate the darker area, perhaps making it more of a square composition? Might work? Really nicely seen.

Thanks everyone for chiming in and indulging my fancy when it comes to sporophytes. To @Chris_Baird, @linda_mellor and @Bonnie_Lampley’s points about cropping, I’m torn. I like the spatial context the rest of the moss gives. It’s like being at a gathering, but having a quiet moment with one other person. The others fade to background. I guess I’m reaching here, but it’s worth considering both ways.

And @Merv - you have heard about love at first sight, haven’t you? :laughing:

1 Like

I don’t think you should crop this - I agree they need the space. Just dodge those dark verticals in the background.

Whoops, my bad, Bonnie. I see what you mean about them though. I was paying so much attention to other things that I missed their relative darkness.

1 Like

Just now stumbled on this one. On a coolness scale of 1-10, it’s at least an 11! All said above – I’ve never really looked at these things before.

I do find my eyes wandering to the two slightly brighter areas right at the top of the frame. (Probably due to some sort of OCD.) They’re pretty, but that’s the problem. A slight burn would keep my eye in the frame, or even a slight crop at the top – I don’t think that would feel crowded.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time with it @Diane_Miller - I like the direction you went in so I have an updated version in the OP. Thanks to everyone who helped make this a better photo.

Hi Kris,

The rework looks really good ,of course, I thought the original looked really good too! :slight_smile:

And now that I feel more acquainted with your image, “I love it” :laughing:

I really like these very tiny things, I have tried to photograph them for a while when an occasion occur, but never managed to get an image this good! I really love this image and how the sporophytes whisper to each other. I agree with @Bonnie_Lampley, do not crop and just dodge the dark verticals in the BG. The copper-like color and great texture of the sporophytes matches very good with the smooth green BG and the stems on each side of them.