Parade of one

I told you guys you’d be sick of me this week.

Found this beauty today while out snowshoeing. Good thing I had them, too, since I went off trail and the snow is about 2 feet deep. At first it was just about the lichen-y goodness and the relatively clean background with some filtered sun. Then it was about the sense of movement and passage. Dare I say, a tiny Ent? Humans are so good at picking out faces and forms that I sometimes find myself losing all that is “natural” about images once I see them, but this one is so obvious that I don’t feel bad bringing it to attention. Bonnie had her bathing duck, I have my forest gnome.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Basically this is a grab-shot, but I was paying attention to focus and the background when I shot it so I kind of think it works. Should there be more space for it to “move” through or do you like the tension of a departing figure?

Technical Details

Handheld. Laughing in the deep snow.

Lr for a crop and some work with masks to even out the light and bring texture and exposure where needed. I LOVE the intersect with object mask options that let me do this without affecting the snow behind. Sweet.

Hi Kris, I like this one, very simple and “crusty”. Think the shadow makes a duet on the stage, but I miss seeing the top of it, unless it would have detracted from the image.

Thanks @Jim_Lockhart - there isn’t anything except bare branches with some stuff hanging off above so I cut it out since it wasn’t adding anything.

Cool!! I love the detail in the lichen, and the shadow – great light! It makes me wish for a less cropped composition, but I can see why distracting elements would degrade the image. There is a lovely purity to it.

Thanks @Diane_Miller - the shadow was a big piece of this and I did my best to make sure it was included because it means something overall - that there is a presence and it is felt in two ways. The snow to the right has some bits on it that I might be able to clone out, but I liked the tension this composition brought.