Busy Little Bee

I shot this a few days ago while the weather was warm enough for both the bees and me to get out and shoot. Your viewing, comments and critiques are appreciated. Thank you.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 100 mm L macro lens with KX-800 twin flash. Settings manual f6.7, 1/250, ISO 160.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Wow Shirley, the detail of the wings and eyes are great. Can’t wait for the bees to come back to our area. Very nice capture.

1 Like

Shirley: Just terrific! Great selective focus and the flash did a great job on the wings without overpowering the image. Exceptionally fine image. >=))>

1 Like

Wonderful details and framing Shirley. The lighting was great, maybe I need to get one of those twin flashes. I would not change anything on this one

Thank you, Dean. I have really enjoyed using it. I did have a diffuser on (one covering both of the flashes so it appears like one light), which I forgot to mention. I had the setting on it down pretty low so that helped by being able to use a lower f-stop (not caring so much about getting things in focus behind him). When I shoot really close up of little bugs, and I have to have the f-stop up around f19-22 for better DOF, then I have to have that flash dialed up pretty good. It is trial and error till you get the feel for what works with it, but those arms on the flash stretch out there to past the lens if you want them to. Thank you for viewing and commenting, I really do appreciate it. Wish you the best on your decision with the flash.

So the big question is, who had more fun with the warm weather, you or the bees? :wink: The details in the bee and the nearby stamen are terrific. The setting, with all of the flowers is very nicely inviting.

1 Like

Wonderful color, detail, depth of field, and superb background. I’m really enjoying the composition here. Nice job Shirley!

1 Like