Butterfly and Flower

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Not sure if this is where the image belongs, but I generally see butterflies in this forum. It was hardly a close-up, though. Taken from a lanai in Maui from at least 50 feet. These butterflies were flitting around, but rarely landed, so I felt lucky to get this shot. Wish the butterfly was a bit sharper.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/1000 at f7.1; ISO 1250

Allen, I think it works here in this category as well as it would anywhere else. Normally we would want it filling the frame more, but I think it works. It is a lovely environmental shot, for sure. Yes, it would have been nice to have the BF a bit sharper, but I think it works. The motion in the wing lets us know he is on the move headed for that lovely flower. Very pleasing image.

1 Like

This is certainly colorful, Allen and I like the composition. Your depth of field gives this image a very three-dimensional look to me, which is really nice.

1 Like

Allen: The butterfly head is sharp so I can get over the wing blur. The environment is marvelous and I like your comp. This is such a good scene that I might be tempted to play with some artistic filters to combat the wing blur. Nice work with what you had and a fine result. >=))>

1 Like

Allen, I really like this one. The muted greens with the vibrant flowers and butterfly are beautiful. I especially like your use of the colors within the image to frame this one. Nicely done.

1 Like