Orange Sulphur Butterfly

Seen this past September at a local community garden.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 7D2, Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 1.4x TC III, Hand held
ISO 640, f5.6, 1/5000s
Raw conversion in Canon DPP4, further processing in Photoshop CC.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

What an excellent shot, Allen. To get the flower and the little butterfly in so sharp is really great, and that background really makes both stand out nicely. I am thinking that maybe if you cropped a little off from the right to keep the subject from being so centered, it would also give the feel of more lead room for the butterfly to fly. I am certainly not a pro, so take that advice for what it is worth. I did hold a paper up to my screen to block off the right a bit, and I thought it improved it. I think the square format does work too. See what other advise on the crop/composition. I am totally wishing it was my shot!!!

Simple and so beautiful. A real delight to view.

Allen, you have a very flattering posture and frontal angle of the BF with a soft harmonious BG. Since the subjects are stacked I wouldn’t hesitate to crop this to a vertical, but still allowing more room on the left.

Very cool, Allen. Getting a flight shot of a butterfly is really a trick and getting it positioned well with respect to the flower is even more of one. Detail in the butterfly and flower center are incredible. If you’re so inclined, the nice uniform background here lends itself to playing with the relative positions and orientations of the flower and butterfly. I could see a more diagonal relationship between them as being a very cool variation.

Hi Allen,

Good timing on this one. I hope you took a series of images for this butterfly. Crop off some from the right to decenter the BF is all that this needs. Well done…Jim

Allen: Marvelous flight shot in really nice light. I’ll chime in with the others regarding a crop from the right. Very nicely done.>=))>

Allen, the sharpness of the flower and the butterfly are great. Given that the bf is directly above the flower, I’m thinking that cropping to vertical would work well here.