Butterfly Nemeses

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I caught this guy in the act while he was on the hunt.

Technical Details

Canon 5DsR, exp 400, EF100mm f/2.8 Macro

What a neat creature. I can’t recall seeing one quite like this and the perch is so darn elegant! I love the softness in front and behind that is so different from the angularity and implied threat of the wasp.

Not sure what you’re looking to improve here, but some micro contrast would go a long way I think. That’s contrast achieved by using the clarity and/or texture sliders in Lightroom. Specifically it addresses the mid tones which when leveled properly give a lot of depth, punch and texture to small scenes like this. I would mask it to only the wasp and not the leaves.

This is very cool, John. Like Kris, I don’t think I’ve seen this species before, but it’s beautiful. I think stopping down a bit for more depth of field might have brought that head into a little crisper focus, but other than that, I love this.

Thanks for the thoughts! I just wanted to share this pic of a wasp in action. He was on the hunt for eggs and larva of others to feed his own. Real mean to others especially Caterpillars.
I’m going to try and get this in Lightroom and play with it. I don’t have Photo Shop.

Thanks Dennis, I don’t know the proper name. I just know he takes a nice pic being all Black except the white dot. Your right about the crisper shot. Thats what I was going for. I’ll have to remember to try and stop down the next time I see one.

John, I don’t know what type he is either, but he is a really nice subject. Being all black makes him stand out nicely against the BG. Yes, stopping down would probably have helped here. Just watch your BG in camera if possible to hit the sweet spot where the BG is still nice and out of focus while more of the subject his sharper. Nicely done.

Shirley, maybe it’s native to here in Virginia. I see them in my flower garden. there real quick and don’t stay in one place long. Being Black does make them a nice subject for pic’s. I’ll try stopping down the next time I see one. I’ll take a lot more if given the chance. Thanks for your thoughts. I read a lot of what you have to say about what you see… I really like reading your critiques. Thanks

Thank you, John. I appreciate your comments on my critiques. Looking forward to seeing some more of this guy. Yes, could be native to Virginia. I go to the Eastern Shore of Virginia occasionally so will keep an eye out for them there.

Lovey capture of this wasp. The background really brings out the subject very well.