"By the Light of the Silvery Moon"

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

If you get the title, you’re old like me. And even if you don’t, the title still describes what I’m seeing. I think it was Don Peters who posted an image or two, “playing around in the backyard…” Well, that’s exactly what I was inspired to do. This is a Chinese Tallow in my backyard after all the leaves had fallen. The “moon” I believe was a wasp trap hanging in the tree - and was shooting towards the sun late afternoon.

Specific Feedback

As always, all comments and suggestions appreciated. The main feedback I’m looking for - does this work? Specifically, is the “moon” a distraction? or does it help tell the story? The blue is a little electric, but what the heck, it’s an abstract.

Technical Details

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @42mm f/25 1/5s iso 50. Single ICM frame, multiple movement during exposure

Wow, what a beautiful icm! Your choise for the square format is a special one. The silverblue color is very nice with the variety of shades. The icm movement is diagonnally horizonttaly with an effect like fabric. The moon has a natural blur.
Well done!

Lon, this is looking great! I could this featured in a children’s book. Your ICM images have that signature style that I recognize them without looking at the artist’s name. Love the framing of this and the positioning of the moon is spot on. The two main trees help keep the eye in the frame. The blue while just a touch vibrant works for the mood of the image.

This is really cool, Lon. I love the motion in the tree branches, but not so much the “moon”. I’d be tempted to look through my files for a nice moon image and do a composite. The electric blue gives a nice nighttime feel to the image and fits very well with your title.

Thank you @HennyJA , @Alfredo_Mora and @Dennis_Plank for your comments and observations.

Thanks Dennis. I have since gone back and have realized, I don’t really have that many images of a moon… and the one I did find I couldn’t create a blurred effect after (or before) combining… But for sure, the object is NOT the moon, nor the sun and I was thinking it was a stretch to call it a moon… but what the heck.

Thank you!

I think this conveys a moonlit night really well.