Sky fire

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was shooting the rising moon a couple of nights ago, close enough to the trees and grass that I couldn’t focus on both. The moon was overexposed and the light coming through the grass was intriguing. This is an insane crop – 1.6% of the full frame! Just for fun. But I need to play with this idea!

A few minutes later I got what I think may be one of my all-time favorites – posted in Nightscape & Astro. Last night's moonrise + RP

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-08-29 at 12.53.54 PM

HUGE crop, just the raw file with LR NR.

1 Like

Diane, first off, I love the original image in your Last night’s moonrise. The others are good, too, but the original still captivates me.

About this post, do you have a particular reason for not centering the moon in a square crop? I like the illusion of a deep well created by the grass and branches. There is a lot of depth. However, my brain struggles with the moon position being off-center. It’s probably my “biased” brain. I just thought I’d see if you had a particular reason for the crop.

Interesting, Diane. When I first saw the thumbnail, I thought it was reflected on ice. The image definitely has some interesting possibilities. I really like the effects of the grasses in the foreground. Well worth working on at future full moons.

Thanks, @Egídio and @Dennis_Plank! Egidio, my first instinct was to center it but that was cutting off the maybe-too-subtle sweep of the grasses toward the top. I could have enlarged the crop frame, but then the tree shapes felt like they were becoming more prominent, so I decided to go with the rule of 7/16.

Dennis, I need to find a good spider web. Or a piece of lace lichen.

1 Like

We’re coming up on October with the Orb Weavers at their peak!

@Kris_Smith will find one first!!

A spider web would work really well for this kind of thing. Keep noodling!

Not many orb weavers around the yard that I’ve seen. Usually there are many. But it is a banner year for these big girls -

Found her and her egg sac the size of a grape on the dock yesterday. Another slightly smaller sister has had her babies disperse already.

Diane,

Very cool… and actually my first impression was “ghouhlish!” - I mean the approach of Halloween and all… The howling moon, spider webs (or the thought of…)

Just for fun, I can’t help it. Many here, but not all, will remember this verse from “Monster Mash”

"The zombies were having fun (tennis shoe, wa hoo)
The party had just begun (tennis shoe, wa hoo)
The guests included Wolfman, Dracula and his son
The scene was rockin’, all were digging the sounds
Igor on chains, backed by his baying hounds
The coffin-bangers were about to arrive
With their vocal group, ‘The Crypt-Kicker Five’ "

Next, I need to go check out your other post!