Cairngorm Rainbow

Cairngorm Rainbow

I had just packed up after taking some photos of the waterfall, when the rainbow appeared. Was a rush job to get the photo, but managed to get something.

Specific Feedback Requested

All critical feedback welcome. Both technique and PP. This is some early attempts at using photoshop, so please do be critical.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 100, F14, 1/3 of a second.

2 Likes

David welcome to NPN !!! This is an outstanding first post and I look forward to seeing more of your work here. If this is an early attempt at Photoshop for you, then I would say you are off to a great start.

I love your understated processing of the autumn color in the grasses. Some people might have been tempted to add more color saturation, but I think doing so might have made these colors compete for attention with the rainbow and waterfall. Processing this the way you did creates a more balanced look that allows all the nice elements in this scene to get the attention they deserve. I think your processing overall looks great, you have done a good job balancing luminosity in this scene.

My suggestion for tweaks are admittedly subjective. I am a big fan of symmetry, and with a full rainbow like this, my preference would be to see it more centered, by cropping a bit from the left. The rock in the lower left corner (LLC) is very dark, and as such has a lot of visual weight, which pulls my eye away from the center of the image. This would be another reason for a small crop from the left.

How one sees color is even more subjective. What you have for color works . My personal taste would lean towards slightly cooling the sky, and the white water in the lower right corner. I think this might create some more warm/cool color contrast against the autumn grasses.

But these are a matter of personal taste, overall I think your colors work fine as presented.

Welcome to NPN, David. Lots of photography experience here to learn from!
I agree with Ed about the crop and the weight that rock on the left has. You could also brighten it a bit to more closely match the other rocks, not that it has to match, but just not as dark.
Cool scene that I’m glad you were able to quickly catch.

Hi Ed,

Thankyou very much for taking the time to give this constructive feedback. It really is much appreciated. Your point about the excessive visual weight being created by the rock, is definitely taken on board. I hadn’t really noticed that until you pointed it out. I will also have a play with cooling the sky and water. I wasn’t happy with the water in the bottom right of the picture, but haven’t yet worked out how to get it where I wanted it.

Thanks again,

Dave.

1 Like

Thanks Mark.

Its seems like a great place for all things photography. I certainly look forward to getting involved where I can. Thanks for the feedback also.

Dave.

in Photoshop, use a Photo Filter adjustment layer, set to Cooling. This cools the entire image. The adjustment layer will have a white mask, which you would turn to black (hiding the adjustment). Then using a white brush, paint on the mask in the areas you want cooler. Alternatively in Lightroom or ACR, use a local adjustment tool like the brush to paint in a White Balance adjustment where you cool the WB to taste.

1 Like

Welcome aboard and a fine first post. I would agree with Ed’s suggestions. I would try to get the the right fall to match the neutral look of the left flow. But as said, that is strictly personal preference and artistic interpretation. I like the image uncropped, as the off center look adds a nice tension for me. Great you could capture this moment. Looking forward to seeing more of your work and reading your thoughts on the work of others.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, David! What a beautiful scene! There’s always something that happens just when you put your camera away! Glad you could catch this! You already got some great advice. This is a great community with so much experience to learn from. Everyone learns from each other!

1 Like

Very nice, David! Welcome to NPN. I look forward to seeing more of your work and hearing your thoughts on other images here.
This is a very nice first post. I agree with Ed McGuirk about wanting the image to be symmetrical because of the complete rainbow, and also the dark LLC, so a crop off the left would work well. Other than that, this looks excellent.

1 Like

Hi David,
welcome aboard.

This is a very nice picture that could improve if you follow Ed McGuirk suggestions ( it’s always a pleasure to read @Ed_McGuirk comments on different pictures).

2 Likes

David, welcome to NPN. This is a great place to learn and improve. Your image is an impressive first posting. I agree with the previous comments regarding the rocks in the LLC and the color of the water in the LRC. I like that the water in the FG duplicate the rainbow in shape.

1 Like

@Ola_Jovall @joaoquintela @Craig_Moreau @Vanessa_Hill @Harley_Goldman

Thankyou all for the comments and for welcoming me to NPN, its much appreciated. Looking forward to getting involved and to learn and improve…which I am already. Dave.

2 Likes

Wonderful image with or without the rainbow. Although I must admit that the rainbow does improve it. I just like the lighting.

Awesome image and welcome to NPN, David. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! It doesn’t get much better than this.; shooting waterfalls then a rainbow appears. This is lovely as presented, but I think @Ed_McGuirk 's suggestions for some small tweaks would elevate this scene another notch. Looking forward to your participation.

DSC04500-1 - Rainbow 2

@Ed_McGuirk @Mark_Muller @Harley_Goldman @Vanessa_Hill @Craig_Moreau @joaoquintela @Ola_Jovall @Igor_Doncov @Ed_Lowe

Thankyou all for the comments. I have attached the re-edited version below. I certainly prefer it!!

Thanks again.

Dave.

2 Likes

Really nice re-edit. It makes the whole image look a lot brighter! Beautiful!