Etive Rainbow

Hey everyone,

This was taken yesterday, on the shores of Loch Etive, looking back towards the Glen. I’d been in Glencoe, and had a hunch that this might happen based on the intermittent showers that were coming in from South. Amazingly, and for the first time ever, I was actually right.

I love the scene, and the moment. There were quite a few strangers around, and it was fantastic to share it all with people smiling as widely as me. I really want to do the scene justice, so I’d appreciate any advice and suggestions on any more optimisations that might be needed.

Regards,

Rich

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Overall direction of post-processing, colour balance and framing. Would have an alternative composition have been more beneficial at the time of capture?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

Any pertinent technical details:

Two exposure blend from a few minutes apart. Second exposure used for better light falling on the trees and distant, and more interesting cloud.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

G’day Richard, surprised this image hasn’t received any love yet! I’m really enjoying it! It’s nicely balanced, the light is interesting, and the processing is nice too. I don’t have anything on this except a minor thing which is the rocks in the bottom left. I know it would have been hard to compose with them so perhaps cloning them out if you’re ok with that might work. Really lovely image though!

1 Like

Hey Sam, thanks for your comments! Yeah, I already cropped out some of them, mainly for removing a very naughty puppy from his inevitable photobomb. I’ll have a look at cloning them out, thank you!

1 Like

I like the scene a lot. I like the light, the rainbow, the clouds and the landscape. If I were do to something to this image I would crop water from the bottom up to about where the main part of the land starts on the left side. The water on the lower part of the image doesn’t add to the image. By cropping it the eye is focused on the main subject of the image.

1 Like

Thank you Richard, I’ll play around with the crop and see how it feels.