California dreaming

Was lucky to be able to have a couple of weekends in the bay area in the late 90’s. Spent one weekend exploring Muir woods and the trails around Marin county. Something very different to my home in Ontario, Canada. I was drawn to the contrast of the golden brown grasses in the winter and the trees that were still green on a sunny California day. Though I’d have fun and share an oldie for this weeks challenge.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback welcome. However there is very little leeway to adjust as this is an old scan from slide. Crop to 8x10 getting rid of most of the clear sky might be better.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
This was shot on Fuji slide film and scanned many years ago Shot on Minolta.

1 Like

Bryan, this is a beauty. The trail through the grass leads to the “trail” of trees up the hill. The beautiful blue sky adds to the fit with your title.

1 Like

I thought this looked familiar… Very typical of my part of the world. I love how straight the trail is and then it up and disappears in the trees. The light and shadow detail in the grasses in the FG is lovely. Very nice quality for an old film scan!

Must have been very early winter, as our green grass season is after the rains start in late fall (or when they USED to start) and then in summer, after they’ve quit, the grass turns brown.

The trees here are a mix of deciduous (many varieties of oak) and evergreen, with redwood, various conifers, live oak, bay laurel and eucalyptus among the most common.

This really speaks northern California to me. I lived in the Bay Area for 10 years and we had similar parks very close by. Well composed with the trail off to the left side leading into the beautiful greenery on the otherwise dry and dusty hillsides.

Nicely done Bryan! I like how the trail leads you into that dark, mysterious tunnel in the trees. And they provide an interesting diagonal through the background and up to the horizon.