On the heels of a dream

One of my favorites from the Ladybird Johnson Redwood Preserve in northern California. I liked the framing with the sword fern and the curve of the trail itself with the flanking trees in the back. It was still foggy, but it was burning off. Several other shots feature the fog more, but this one is all about the trail and the elevation changes. There is nothing quite like being among these giants, even if these weren’t the biggest we saw.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything useful is welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld braced against a tree.

on the heels of a dream

Lr for most of the processing including a small crop, white balance, the usual curves adjustment, texture & clarity. A touch of sharpening and brush work to lighten the darkest trunks. I think they had a fungus on them, but I found the blacks just too deep. Also played a little bit with green luminosity so the lush foliage would sparkle.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

I too love going to Ladybird Johnson Redwood Preserve. It’s a terrific place. Nice work framing the trail and the two dominant trees on either side. Excellent.

This image provides an excellent sense of place with respect to the forest environment. Nice leading lines and excellent color. The composition works quite well with the two big trees off to the left of center.

Thanks @David_Bostock and @David_Schoen - when I can’t find a foreground anchor as such, I will go for a destination instead. Pull your eyes to the back and make you curious for more.